Powered by Blogger.

N I N E || A {few} day(s) in the life.

*Do forgive the lateness of this post. For reasons you will read below, my body decided to shut down at 7pm and force me to sleep, not emerging until around 8am this morning. 

When I added the prompt for Day 9 of the #blogeverydayinFEB to the list, I was expecting to share a typical daily routine with you. You know, wake up, snooze button, favorite morning routine, a glimpse of Anthro and teaching, then maybe share about my evening activities. However, it did not take me long to realize that this February is hardly typical for me, and none of my days have fallen into that category so far.

If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you will know that I have been traveling since Wednesday, knocking out my first interview for graduate school. It has been quite the adventure, many a mixed blessing along the way, and here is my recap. (So it's more than one day, but these prompts are for individual interpretation, right? Right! And I made them so..... why worry?)

8:00 Beep! Beep! Beep! My alarm went off and I ran around like a mad-woman.
8:35 My roommate Sarah informs me that there is a major traffic issue because of the Seahawks celebratory parade.
8:42 I jump in the shower to speed things up.
8:49 I'm out of the shower, hair dried, packing the last of my things.
9:04 We are out the door!
9:54 We finally made it to the airport after wading through traffic. It wasn't terrible, but still.
10:15 I check in, make it through security, and camp out at my gate.
11:30 We board the plane for the first leg, Seattle to Denver.
11:50 Our initial take-off time and we are still sitting at the gate.
12:07 They announce that a bird had been hit and is now being cleaned from the plane and reported.
12:30ish We finally take off. Denver here I come!
4:00 (Mountain Time) We land, only to find out that my flight to Dallas has been delayed.
4:01 I realize I will now miss my flight to Birmingham.
4:13 Get cut in line by a large, anxious man with a British accent as we try to sort out flight details.
4:25 The consensus is I will not be getting to Birmingham tonight, but staying in Dallas.
4:30 I called Mom and she planned to pick me up at the airport that evening.
4:34 I called the head of the directing program at Alabama to reschedule my interview. He was so gracious!
5:15 The plane has been boarded and we are headed to Dallas.
8:05 (Central Standard Time) we land in Dallas. My flight to Birmingham left 10 minutes ago.
8:20 Met Mom in baggage claim and hopped in the car for home.
9:00 Picked up packages that a friend brought home for me.
9:30 Curl up in the recliner with Blue Bell ice cream for a late night chat with Mom.

So, Day 1 of traveling was ca-razy! But it turned out to be a blessing in several ways. I had a little more downtime to relax and unwind, and I was able to print several things that I needed once at my parents' house. A surprise night at home was just what I needed to ramp up for the days ahead. Now for Day 2...

4:00 BEEP! Beep! Beep! Alarm goes off.
4:16 I roll out of bed and jump into the shower.
4:45 Mom and I load up the car, and we're out the door in 15 minutes.
5:47 We make it to DFW International Airport, and I scurry through the 20degree weather to check in.
5:55 I hop back in the car and we drive across the airport to a different terminal.
6:17 I am through the security check in, in the blink of an eye.
6:28 Dunkin Donuts for breakfast. Of course.
6:48 Make up in the bathroom with the rest of the airport employees. Hence the above bathroom selfie.
7:12 Chillin' at the gate, waiting to board, reading The Book Thief.
7:13 It begins to SNOW.
7:45 I go up to the counter to check the boarding time, only to realize I'm at the wrong gate! It changed!
7:51 After running down the terminal, I arrive at the correct gate. They're running behind, PTL.
8:10 Our initial take-off time and we are just now boarding.
8:12 It is still SNOWING.
9:37 They have de-frosted the plane and we are 5th in line to take off.
10:20 Finally in the air!
12:01 Landed in Birmingham. FINALLY.
12:15 Got my rental car and took off for Tuscaloosa.
12:36 Chick-fil-a. Chick-fil-a. CHICK-FIL-A.
1:45 Made it to the University of Alabama.
2:00 After meeting the head of the department, I sat in on a Playwrighting class.
2:15 The announcement is made that all classes/university activity is cancelled because of the ice.

By 3:00, I had met with the head of the department again and we agreed to reschedule everything for the next day. It's a good thing I planned my flight home for Saturday morning, but I was bummed that I could no longer head to Memphis and see Kelly or Nicole. Someday it will happen :) I spent the evening at the hotel and running by Loft to pick up a second outfit to interview in the next day. I also treated myself to dinner at Cracker Barrel. It is one of my favorite restaurants and those don't exist up here in Seattle. I settled in at a Holiday Inn for the evening and fell promptly to sleep. Thankfully my hotel was close to campus so it took me no time to get there the next day.

9:00 Coffee with one of the grad students. It was great to pick his brain about the department.
10:30 I sat in on the undergraduate directing class, and I loved it! I wanted to jump in with them!
11:00 Brief tour of the theatre and an interaction to the head of the program. Filling time for a bit.
12:30 Interview time. It was pretty casual and very encouraging. I think it went pretty well!
1:00 Sat in on the Theatre Appreciation class that the first year grad students are TA's for.
2:00 Lunch with the grad students at a sandwich shop. Again, really got to get the inside scoop on the program.
3:00 BREAK. I took a much needed nap and then scurried back to the university.
6:00 I met up with the program director and sat in on a rehearsal of Picnic. Such a great show!
7:30 I caught the first act of the dress rehearsal for Blood Wedding. Also, very well done!

That night I cut out early to head back to the hotel because my Saturday morning was going to be eeeeeearly. I grabbed McAlister's for dinner, another treat that needs to come up to the Pacific Northwest, then it was back to the hotel to crash. I'll spare you the play by play but Saturday included a 3:30am alarm (It felt like 1:30 for this Seattleite) and a long drive to the airport before a morning flight. I made it to Seattle with no problem mid-afternoon and the first of my traveling weekends came to a close.

Maybe someday I'll share a typical day in the life, but honestly my days are rarely the same.  I'm looking forward to continuing our link-up this week! Today should be the only day that appears this late in the evening. 

post signature


  1. Chick-fil-A needs to come to Seattle, stat.
    How far into The Fault In Our Stars are you??

  2. I love that you have a copy of the knot! haha! :)

  3. So many places that I've never had but want to try!! Dunkin Donuts, Chick-Fil-A, Cracker Barrel. Ahhh.